Melanie Joy investigates in "Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows" factory farming, the treatment of animals, the hazards faced by people working in meatpacking and the environmental impact of the animal product industry. This book will change our way of thinking about food and animals forever.
"In her groundbreaking book, Joy shakes up the completely arbitrary thinking that enables people to, at the same time, treat animals as friends and look the other way while others are ruthlessly exploited as commodities." Gene Baur, president and cofounder of Farm Sanctuary.
1. To Love or to Eat?
2. Carnism: "It's Just the Way Things Are"
3. The Way Things Really Are
4. Collateral Damage: The Other Casualties of Carnism
5. The Mythology of Meat: Justifying Carnism
6. The the Carnistic Look Glass: Internalized Carnism
7. Bearing Witness: From Carnism to Compassion